Stress Release in Shrewsbury 90min/£60 • 120min/£85
A full body massage which focuses on the key areas of tension back, neck and shoulder combined with Biodynamic Cranosacral therapy. This is quite a powerful combination as it not only eases the muscular tension but also balances the whole being making you feel like you are ready to face the world again.
Why Stress Release?
A number of my clients have multiple back muscular tensions or knotted area especially around the shoulder blade, shoulder, neck and lower back. They often come for a deep tissue massage to address those problem areas. Their muscular tension is often associated with stress.
Stress is the body's biological response to an actual or perceived stressor. In our evolutionary past, stress responses would have been necessary to survival. They enable the body to respond quickly to danger. As the civilization progress, there is less danger in our environment but the stress response is still necessary to survival. Sometimes, responses to pressures and events it was not designed for and can lead to psychological and physical illness.
The NHS (National Health Service) described stress as the feeling of being under too much mental or emotional pressure. It can affect how you feel, think, behave and how your body works. You may also feel anxious, irritable or low in self esteem, and you may have racing thoughts, worry constantly. You may notice that you lose your temper more easily. You may also experience headaches, muscle tension or pain. Stress causes a surge of hormones in your body. These stress hormones are released to enable you to deal with pressures or threats – the so called “fight or flight” response.
“Fight or flight” is a fundamental physiologic response that prepares the body to “fight” or “flee” from perceived attack, harm or threat to our survival. It is basically FEAR. It corresponds to an area of our brain called hypothalamus – when stimulated it activates two systems namely sympathetic and adrenal-cortical system where it initiates a sequence of nerve cell firing and chemical release that prepares our body for running or fighting. We see everything through the filter of possible danger and fear becomes the lens through which we see the world.
Of course, the muscular tension can be addressed by deep tissue massage and the emotional tension up to a point. However, the Biodynamic Cranionsacral Therapy will enhance the outcome of relieving the stress. Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy can affect the very deep and primary patterns of emotion providing the client with resource and space to delve into their own emotional landscape resulting in equilibrium. In physiological term it kind of balances the sympathetic nervous system which prepare us for fight or flight state and parasympathetic nervous system which prepare us for the rest & recovery - relaxation state. If these two systems are in harmony with each other - in theory your body will be in homeostasis giving you a sense of well being in balance.
How the treatment is done?
- A brief consultation will be done before the treatment which will not cut off your treatment time.
- You will be asked to take your clothes off but keeping your underpants on.
- You will then lie on the couch face down and a towel will be draped over your body.
- I will tune in with you where I place my hands on your back for 5 minutes. I find this is more effective rather than going straight onto massage. You will become more receptive to the treatment
- A massage oil will be applied as medium
The body massage is done in four stages:
1) Tuning in - this is like connecting to your internal energy field
2) Warm up – where I glide my hands with not much pressure. Whilst doing this, I can feel or sense areas of concern i.e. tensed muscle or knotted areas
3) Deep tissue work – where deeper pressure will be applied on areas of concern in a gentle way. The pressure will vary as everyone is different. Also other area of concern could be more sore or painful than the other. Also, it all depends on how much pressure you can take and this is done in a caring manner. This is the stage where we interact with each other. Some people don’t want to talk and want me to just get on with the treatment and that’s OK too.
4) Relaxation – this is the stage where the relaxation will occur. The pace is slow, the neck and scalp is massaged. The slower the pace the better.
After the full body massage, you will be covered in blanket to keep you warm and I will carry on the Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy.